Friday, July 21, 2017

What are your dreams

My blog is about planning and living my dream. So the most important thing is, of course, to know what are my dreams! There are many types of dreams:
- Day dream
- Dream in your sleep
- Big visionary dream
- "If I could be anything" dream
- Dream job / career
- Other people dream
- "All you can eat/travel/play/drink" dream
- and many many more...

So here are some of my different dreams that I could remember.

Dream in My Sleep - The Flying Dream

As a kid, I had the recurring dream of flying. Not flying in a big blue sky, but usually flying between busy streets packed with high rise skyscrapers old and new.  Most of the times, I was stuck under the overhang passageway of the highrise. I suspected that was a dream reflecting my subconscious desire for independence and adventures. Because the recurring flying dream ceased when I left my home country and joined my older sister to study high school abroad. I thrived in the excitement of the new life and new friends in a new country far away from parents and friends.
Overhang passageway

Day Dream - The Farm Dream

Before I went abroad, I was studying extremely hard preparing for public examinations. In between classes and tests, my friends and I would talk about dreams. My dream at that time was to be a "farmer" (or to live on a farm, minus the hard work). Other than the fact that Geography was one of my favourite class, I knew nothing about farming.  I considered the part about growing plants, weeding, harvesting. But the picture that entice me the most is where I would sit at a porch overseeing the farm, enjoying the sunset after a day of hard work. My friends would join me to have dinner and tea together while we would chat the evening away.  That might be my escape mechanism for studying too hard. I still have that jam lid with a picture of farm fields which I would stare at when I was bored by the textbooks.
The farm image I have in mind, where I wanted to live


The Travelling Dream

Having worked for so many years, I must admit that in between excel files and in meetings, I may think about my next vacation or weekend getaway. Before kid, I loved travelling to the less travelled countries like Myanmar, Nepal, Cambodia, Vietnam, Hungary, Prague. We have also been to the basic Italy, Sicily, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France, Spain, UK, Turkey, Belgium, Netherlands, US, Canada, Mexico, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, China, Singapore. Even with Mochi, we continue to travel the world: Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Australia, Finland, Estonia.  There are over 190 countries in the world and I have only been to / listed less than 30 of them! Would I ever get to visit all of the countries and towns I want to experience?
Bronte infinity pool

Dream Job? or "Society Standard" Dream 

Before I attended the University, I always pictured myself being a successful business woman, living in a metropolitan condo overseeing the Thames River or Central Park or Victoria Harbour, with skyscrapers lighting up the night. I would think to myself "that is what I define as success". Having worked and lived in Manhattan, London, and Hong Kong, with a harbour view unit I call home now, I have reached the checkpoint I set for myself! My job allows me to achieve this humble goal/dream. Now what's next?
Harbour night view

The Humble Dream

I enjoy my work, especially the problem solving, analytics, and people interaction aspects. But I don't enjoy my job as much when the "need" to "earn a living" is looming. Under the daily mundane burden of life, working long hours day after day, sometimes ones dream could be very humble and basic. All I want now is to be home while it is still bright outside. Spend more time with our loved ones at a park, on a beach, at a cafe, or even just at home. Or maybe read a book, cook a meal, sleep in on a weekday, window shopping for hours. etc. etc. etc.

My Real Dream?

I have always wanted to be a travelling author.  My number one hobby is reading. One of my favourite authors travelled the world and wrote about people she met, stories she heard, and things she saw.  Although I'm not sure about writing novels for a living, that should not stop me from writing! I keep a personal journal. I've also had a few blogs before this one. But here I am, starting a new blog, sharing with all of you. You can say I am trying to "live my dream".
Spending time in the nature with my loves

Bring it all together... Next step!

O whoa. I have more dreams than I thought! Now what? What's next? Here are some key points I want to achieve:
- Keep working in my field but with better hours
- Spend more time with my loved ones
- Keep writing!
- Relax and enjoy nature with my loved ones, in my own house (sounds like retirement!)
- Travel and explore the world
- Financial security/independence

I am a risk adverse planner. I cannot just quit my job to travel. I do enjoy my job, just not so much the long hours. I have always been quite a workaholic before Mochi arrived. With Mochi, I just want more work life balance. There must be more to life than my job. I don't want my job to rule my life!

I don't need to be rich to pursue my dreams.  However, I want Financial Independence and Security so I work for reasons other than "earn-a-living" or "provide for my family". "Financial Independence, Retiring Early" FIRE is not what I want in my 30s. At the moment, I enjoy many aspects of my job.  I am proud to tell people where I work and what I do. However, I may want to have that "Early Retirement" option in my late 40s or 50s. As the Chinese saying "earn money to buy flowers" - Meaning you are not earning a living. Instead, you work to make money for own pleasure. Now I have to see how am I going to achieve this!


Are you on my blog because you are also thinking about the very same thing? You are happy where you are, but you want more in life. You are considering FIRE but, just like me, you are not sure if you can do it, not sure if it is meant for you. Welcome to join my journey of self-reflection. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment